Monday, March 19, 2012

Honey Peanut Butter Cookies


 


I was craving peanut butter cookies this afternoon and wanted to bake a healthier version than some previous recipes I've used. I used to be repelled by the thought and smell of honey, but I am slowly warming up to it. Lately, I have been really enjoying it ever since re-discovering my favorite peanut butter. I think I found a perfect combination of "healthy" and "treat" in this cookie. James and I especially love them, but even David enjoyed them (and he usually despises peanut butter cookies)!

Let me know what you think!

Honey Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter, softened (I put mine in the microwave at 40% power for 1 minute)
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used Skippy Natural Creamy)
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 egg
1.5 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 350º F.

In a large mixing bowl, mix butter, peanut butter, honey, sugars and egg until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt. Add to the peanut butter mixture and mix well.

It's up to you to choose the size of your cookies. If you want smaller cookies, use a teaspoon. If you want bigger cookies, use a tablespoon. Scoop desired amount of dough and roll into a ball. Place on un-greased baking sheet and using a fork, make a criss cross pattern on top to flatten the dough. If your fork sticks to the dough, dip it in some flour after every other cookie. Sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of sugar and bake for 8-11 minutes.

Baking Tip: They will look under-baked when you take them out of the oven. As long as there is a hint of golden brown near the edges and the bottoms are honey colored, they are done. Don't over-cook them or they will be more like ginger snaps when they cool. :)

Makes 2 dozen medium size cookies.

Enjoy!

recipe inspiration credit: Allrecipes


No comments: