Thursday, February 23, 2012

Natural Beef Stroganoff

Beef stroganoff was one of my favorite meals as a kid, but once I found out there was mustard in the sauce, I could never bring myself to make it- I just couldn't see mustard, wine and sour cream working together. Needless to say, when I made it without the mustard, something was missing- duh! It was that "stroganoff" taste. This time, I added the mustard back in, and used strips of beef instead of ground beef. I also made my own "cream of mushroom soup" instead of using the canned, and it was absolutely delicious! I will be making this again and again, and hope you enjoy it too! 


Natural Beef Stroganoff

  • Ingredients:

  • 1 pound beef chuck roast, cut into thin strips
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1. 5 cups condensed beef broth (canned or bouillon made)
  • 1 teaspoon prepared french mustard
  • 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1/3 cup white wine
(serve with egg noodles or rice)

Directions:

Remove any fat from the beef and cut into strips 1/2 inch thick by 2 inches long. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of both salt and pepper. 
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and brown the beef strips quickly, then add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in beef broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Whisk in the flour making sure there are no lumps. 
Lower the heat and stir in the mustard and mushrooms. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the meat is tender. Five minutes before serving, stir in the sour cream, as well as any additional salt and pepper to taste. Best served with hot egg noodles. Enjoy!

No comments: