Laura Bush's Cowboy Cookies
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 sticks butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups sweetened flake coconut
- 2 cups chopped pecans, optional
- 1Preheat oven to 350°. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in bowl.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Gradually beat in sugars and continue beating to combine, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each. Beat in vanilla. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Add chocolate chips, oats, coconut and pecans.
- 3For each cookie, drop 1/4 cup (yes, 1/4 cup- these are cowboy cookies!) of dough onto un-greased cookie sheet, spacing 3 inches apart. Bake 17 to 20 minutes, until edges are lightly browned. Remove to rack to cool. Makes 2 dozen huge cookies! If you want to make smaller cookies, use a tablespoon scoop and bake for 9-11 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Tip: Store in an airtight container or zip lock baggies. For maximum enjoyment, pop into the microwave for 10 seconds and enjoy a warm baked treat any time.