Saturday, February 11, 2012

Authentic Mexican Chicken Taquitos

One of my old favorite meals was Delimex taquitos. They come in both shredded beef and shredded chicken. I haven't had them in so many years, but I saw them in the grocery store the other day and a craving was born. Knowing what I know about prepackaged meats from most popular brands, I knew I would have to find a good recipe to make them on my own. Unfortunately, every recipe I found was different from what I was looking for- a simple yellow corn tortilla filled with shredded spiced meat, brushed with oil and baked until crunchy! It sounded simple enough in my mind, so I put the recipe to the test last night, and what do you know, they were delicious! My husband loved them and told me that he wants them to be added as a staple to our rotation of meals in our meal plans. The good news is that they were easy to make, relatively healthy and inexpensive. No problem-o! :)


 Pin It


Authentic Mexican Chicken Taquitos

Ingredients:

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken
1 packet McCormick Chicken Taco seasoning (found near the regular taco seasoning packets)
12 extra thin corn tortillas (I used yellow)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
shredded lettuce
salsa
sour cream
guacamole

Directions:

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the chicken and boil until cooked through, about 10 minutes.. Strain, allow to cool for a few minutes, then shred the chicken using a fork and knife. Once shredded, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup water, the seasoning, and the chicken. Mix well and turn off the heat. Pre-heat the oven to 425°F. Heat 3 tortillas on a dish in the microwave for about 7-10 seconds. Working quickly, place a few tablespoons of chicken in the tortilla and roll up tightly. Place on a cookie sheet with the rolled side down. Follow the same routine with the remaining tortillas. Brush a little of the vegetable oil over each tortilla (if you don't have a brush, use your fingers) and bake for 7-10 minutes or until crunchy. Remove from the oven and rotate each taquito. Cover with cheese, and bake for another 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

To make the garnish salad, place some lettuce on a plate and add one scoop each of salsa, sour cream and guacamole. Serve and enjoy!


1 comment:

1TootieFoodie said...

YUM! I have to try this. Looks so simple and good. Thanks for the recipe!