Saturday, February 4, 2012

All-American Buffalo Chicken Tenders


  • I've been craving buffalo chicken tenders for so long- and for the last 2 years, since we've been ethical omnivores, and we don't buy the prepackaged tenders made from tortured factory farmed chicken by Tyson, I have hoped to gather the courage to try making our own buffalo tenders at home using free range-farm raised chicken. And yesterday, I did just that! 




I was inspired by a recipe on Pinterest again, and it's from Martha Stewart again as well. That woman is pretty amazing- I don't think I've ever tried a recipe of hers that I didn't like. 



David ranked these 9 stars out of 10. The missing star stems from the fact that the batter came off the chicken on a few pieces that we ate. I did not let them sit after battering them, so maybe that had something to do with it. Next time, I will definitely allow them to rest before frying, and I do believe I will make a double batch so that I can attempt to freeze them and make my own fast food. Also, I suggest using an oil splash guard while frying, because my stove was an oily mess after frying the whole pound of tenders! I can not tell you how yummy these were- you'll just have to try them! Let me know if you find out how to keep the batter stuck to the tender. 

  • All-American Buffalo Chicken Tenders

    recipe credit: Martha Stewart

    Ingredients

    1/2 cup buttermilk (I made mine with 1/2 cup half and half + 1 tablespoon vinegar, whisk) 
  • 1/4 teaspoon each of coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 pounds chicken tenders (organic, farm raised, free range for best flavor and stewardship)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup hot sauce (I recommend Frank's Hot Sauce)
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • blue cheese dressing (I recommend Lighthouse)
  • carrot and celery sticks

Directions

  1. Place flour and buttermilk in separate medium bowls; season the flour with salt and pepper.  Dip chicken in buttermilk (allowing excess to drip off), then in flour (shaking off excess).
  2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Working in batches, fry chicken until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to rack in oven to keep warm.
  3. In a large bowl, stir together hot sauce and melted butter. Add chicken, and toss to coat. Serve tenders with blue-cheese dressing and carrot and celery sticks. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Yum!

I have to admit, I haven't tried to make chicken tenders since the time I food-poisoned myself by not cooking the chicken thoroughly enough (it's kind of tricky to tell when it's all covered in batter!)

But I looooove me a good buffalo chicken tender! With lots of ranch :)

♥ Bethany

www.happyhomemaker.me

Debra from Bungalow said...

Good for you for making your own, I would just buy frozen. Bet they were so good!
Drop on over to visit me sometime!

Paris said...

Bethany, I've undercooked chicken in the past, and it put me of chicken in general for a long time! I know it can be tricky to make sure it's done without cutting into it, so I always test the fattest piece of chicken from each batch, and if it is white, it's good! I'd rather have a little cut in my tender than a raw piece of meat! Also, if your strips are similar in size to mine, they need about 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Test one, then toss in hot sauce and enjoy! :)