Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Bacon Lettuce Avocado Tomato Sandwiches

I love BLT's, and the only thing better than a BLT is a BLAT! 

We're getting settled in here in Bozeman, Montana and are enjoying the food scene and the surroundings so much. There is a huge market for free-range, organic, cruelty free food and I LOVE it! There's also plenty of room for the animals to live happily before being sent to the table. I finally got to eat some nitrate and cruelty free bacon from Applegate Farms and it was only a few dollars for 8 slices. 

We're finally rebuilding our home (still need a couch and washer and dryer and a few other misc. items) but kitchen gadgets and tools were my top priority because we eat at home 99% of the time. One of the newest additions to our kitchen is a cast iron skillet. I never understood why they were so popular for people who love to cook at home, but now I know! It makes everything taste better, and cooks a lot more evenly. I finally decided to try a cast iron skillet to make multiple pancakes at once, without using a non-stick coated griddle. It's cheaper too! So far, I have made pancakes, poached eggs, scrambled eggs and bacon, and all of it has cooked quickly and evenly, and has tasted so good. Did you know that iron leaches into your food when you cook with the iron skillet? Just like chemicals leach into your food when you cook with the non-stick pans. We are happy to have this new addition to our stainless steel pots and pans. 

Now I just need a handle mitt, because that handle gets as hot as the middle of the pan!


Nutty avocado... how yummy you are.


 Toast your bread, then put slices of avocado on either side. (half an avocado per sandwich)


Add your bacon. I prefer my bacon crumbled a bit to make it easier to eat.


Add sliced tomatoes, salt and pepper.


Then add lettuce, and put together.


Cut diagonally and admire.


Serve with fruit to round out the flavors, and enjoy!


3 comments:

Bethany said...

Save one for me--here I come!

That looks so amazing. Yum!

I'm glad that you guys are loving your new home!

♥ Bethany

www.happyhomemaker.me

Ashley said...

That is good to know about the cast iron. I was avoiding them because they are so heavy!

And good luck getting furniture. This is the fun time where you get to see God's blessing as things just pop up. For example, when we first moved into our home in June, we were using a futon for a couch. As much as I wanted a nice brown leather sofa, I would not spend the money for a new one. Lo and behold, there was a nice two piece set at the thrift store one day for $150. The real miracle was convincing my husband to get it since he is anti-used. Haha!

Your BLT reminds me of my pregnancy regular - a bagel with cream cheese, avocado, and tomato. :)

1TootieFoodie said...

I am so gonna make this next week! First off, I cannot resist bacon or avacodo